Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Save money #7 don't be afraid to alter recipes

 

Disclaimer while this works for cooking it's not always suitable for baking where ratios are more important.

A few years ago my sister had a Hello fresh meal-kit subscription. For those that don't know each meal-kit includes apart from ingredients also a recipe sheet. My sister saved the recipes with the thought of recreating the dishes later and soon found herself with a large stack of them. Realizing that she wasn't going to use them she let me pick out the ones I might like to try before throwing the rest of them out. I've made some of them but doing so I have realized that most of them asks for unnecessarily expensive ingredients. It's nothing big just things like consistently using pointed cabbage (29,9 kr/kg) instead of normal cabbage (19,9 kr/kg) even though having tried both I honestly cant tell any difference once it's cut up and cooked.

Ant that's the thing once an ingredient is cut up, cooked, seasoned and combined with other ingredients most minor differences will have disappeared. So you might as well chose the option that you already have at home or that's cheapest. I've compiled a list of things that cam easily replace each other.

Any kind of bean with any other kind of bean.

Spinach, cavolo nero, kale or any other leafy green thing.

Cauliflower with broccoli.

Cream fresh, ricotta and yogurt. (just double check if it's meant to be cooked that it won't split)

Tahini with peanut butter.

When I defrosted my freezer I found two leftover hamburger-buns (because they never sell them in the same amount as the burgers) they became garlic-bread.

In general things in the same biological family mostly works. So just experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Save money #7 don't be afraid to alter recipes

  Disclaimer while this works for cooking it's not always suitable for baking where ratios are more important. A few years ago my s...